Did you read that eating more pasta helps you lose weight?
Before you start loading up on alfredo sauce, let’s take a look at what the study actually said.
Can pasta be a part of a healthy diet?
Yes! Carbs are not the enemy. In fact, one of the reasons I love Michele Payn’s award-winning book Food Truths from Farm to Table is the down-to-earth, science-based information about food and nutrition. Fact #16 is “Grains are an important part of your diet.” Exactly! Eating a variety of foods is the best way to maintain a healthy weight and feel great.
This doesn’t mean you should be eating loads of pasta with heavy sauces.
The study looked at pasta consumption as part of a Mediterranean Diet. So, yes, enjoy whole grain pasta while eating:
- Mostly fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and legumes
- Red meat as a treat two or three times per month
- Olive or canola oil instead of butter
- Fish, chicken, or turkey two or three times per week
- Spices and herbs instead of salt
All-in-all, this study is good news. Go ahead enjoy some healthy pasta!