Does trying to choose the "right" food stress you out?
In our information-saturated landscape, choosing what to eat has become more and more complicated. Food stress is the pressure of making the right choice often makes us self-limit choices. We avoid buying this food because a television doctor said it is terrible for us. We choose to eat only certain foods because a celebrity lost weight doing that. Or we stand in the grocery aisle wondering if we’ll be judged by our family, friends, or community because we don’t buy something with the “right” label.
Eating well shouldn’t be this stressful!
Wouldn’t it be nice to take the guilt, judgment, and stress out of food?
For years I’ve talked about, and argued about (in a civil way most of the time), food and food choices with my friend Michele Payn. She’s a fellow professional speaker and mom. She is also the author of Food Bullying, a new book which shines a light on the way marketing and messages influence our food choices.
When Michele decided to create a podcast around the topic of Food Bullying, she asked me to co-host with her and continue our discussion in interviews with food experts. We talk about the $5.75 trillion secret that food marketers and celebrity spokespeople don’t want you to know. Each episode is filled with tangible ideas on how you may have been bullied, why it impacts your wellness, and how to overcome food bullying.
The podcast will help you reduce food stress and navigate grocery store aisles, menus, and those sticky conversations with friends or family.
What you’ll hear on the Food Bullying podcast:
- Experts in dietetics, food, neuroscience, farming, psychology, mental health, wellness, agriculture, marketing, and food science.
- Answers to the most common questions around food – without judgment.
- Tools to battle bullying found in the 200,000+ label claims found in a grocery store.
- Ideas for creating your own social, ethical, environmental, and health standards when making eating decisions.
My hope is that this podcast will equip our listeners with tools to take the stress out of food choices.
Please check out our latest episodes below or on your favorite podcast platform. We’d love you to leave a comment and subscribe too!
- Exploring the environmental science of meat: Episode 34“Kids are dirty and if you’re worried about what you’re feeding them, you’re a good a mom,” says this millennial mom who prioritizes low-cost food at the grocery store. She offers insight on how the science of producing food is remarkable, along with the care that farmers and ranchers provide for the planet. Brandi Buzzard […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Stress, Uncertainty, & the Coronavirus: Episode 33If you are feeling unsettled, stressed, or have jangled nerves as we all weather changes due to COVID-19, there is a good reason. In this special edition of the podcast, Michele and Eliz discuss why your brain likes a predictable environment and how uncertainty creates stress. Eliz shares her research on stress and some tips […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- How can farmers & dietitians help with food insecurity? Episode 32Did you know that nutrition programs are the majority of the farm bill? It’s one of the many ways agriculture and nutrition go hand-in-hand. That’s why the Food Bullying podcast is celebrating National Nutrition Month and National Agriculture Month with a joint release with the Sound Bites podcast. Melissa Joy Dobbins, a Registered Dietitian Nutrition […]Michele Payn & Eliz Green
- Where food grows, bugs go: Episode 31Wine. Tomatoes. Green beans. Tofu. What may sound like a menu is actually what this Maryland farmer grows. Jennie Schmidt shares why her farm transitioned from organic to conventional to be more sustainable, how she produces such a wide variety of crops, and what food bullying terms like factory farming mean to her family farm. […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Are you bullying yourself about food? Episode 30“I shouldn’t eat this...I’m too fat to have this cupcake...I’m not a good parent because I bought this snack.” When was the last time you judged or criticized yourself about food? National Nutrition Month is a great time to change the restrictive mentality we have around food and today’s guest will help you spend less […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- How now, brown cow? Why a dairy farmer talks to his cows: Episode 29Are dairy farmers crazy? Maybe, but it’s because they always put their cows first. It’s National Agriculture Month and we are bringing you a featured farmer (#featuredfarmer) each week. Derrick Josi, an Oregon dairy farmer and founder of TDF Honest Farming, encourages farmers to bridge the gap with consumers – and understand the divide goes […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Are your hands a food safety risk? Episode 28Did you know that only 8% of males wash their hands after using the restroom? And those hands may have picked up that apple you just purchased? Hygiene is important – both on your hands and in your kitchen. More important than concerns around chemicals and pesticides when it comes to food safety. Jennie Hodgen […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Are You Eating Beyond the Headlines? Episode 27Are you leaving foods out of your diet? You can run the risk of creating health issues if you are leaving out a food group, such as carbohydrates. "Our bodies need a variety of nutrients, which are obtained from variety of foods in our diet" points out Neva Cochran, a registered dietitian nutritionist. When you […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Oscars and Vegetarians and Starbucks, OH MY! Episode 26Artificial insemination. Vegetarian choices. The Oscars. STDs. Greenhouse gas emissions. Baby calves. Nursing. Starbucks. Nutrient density of food. Personal choices. If those topics don’t add up to a civil conversation in your mind, listen in for a model on how to have a discussion around food and the environment that's respectful and informative with someone […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Are chemicals in food poisoning you? Episode 25"Don’t eat what you can’t pronounce... Synthetic chemicals are more dangerous than natural chemicals... Chemicals in food are killing us... There is no safe level of pesticides…" It’s no wonder we are scared of food with myths like these flying around our plates. Today’s Food Bullying podcast guest not only knows and loves chemicals, she […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene