Does trying to choose the "right" food stress you out?
In our information-saturated landscape, choosing what to eat has become more and more complicated. Food stress is the pressure of making the right choice often makes us self-limit choices. We avoid buying this food because a television doctor said it is terrible for us. We choose to eat only certain foods because a celebrity lost weight doing that. Or we stand in the grocery aisle wondering if we’ll be judged by our family, friends, or community because we don’t buy something with the “right” label.
Eating well shouldn’t be this stressful!
Wouldn’t it be nice to take the guilt, judgment, and stress out of food?
For years I’ve talked about, and argued about (in a civil way most of the time), food and food choices with my friend Michele Payn. She’s a fellow professional speaker and mom. She is also the author of Food Bullying, a new book which shines a light on the way marketing and messages influence our food choices.
When Michele decided to create a podcast around the topic of Food Bullying, she asked me to co-host with her and continue our discussion in interviews with food experts. We talk about the $5.75 trillion secret that food marketers and celebrity spokespeople don’t want you to know. Each episode is filled with tangible ideas on how you may have been bullied, why it impacts your wellness, and how to overcome food bullying.
The podcast will help you reduce food stress and navigate grocery store aisles, menus, and those sticky conversations with friends or family.
What you’ll hear on the Food Bullying podcast:
- Experts in dietetics, food, neuroscience, farming, psychology, mental health, wellness, agriculture, marketing, and food science.
- Answers to the most common questions around food – without judgment.
- Tools to battle bullying found in the 200,000+ label claims found in a grocery store.
- Ideas for creating your own social, ethical, environmental, and health standards when making eating decisions.
My hope is that this podcast will equip our listeners with tools to take the stress out of food choices.
Please check out our latest episodes below or on your favorite podcast platform. We’d love you to leave a comment and subscribe too!
- Stress, choices, and farewell: Episode 78Anyone else feeling overwhelmed? Michele and Eliz talk ranging conversation about stress, overwhelm, uncertainty, and choice in 2021. Much of their conversation is based on Eliz’s soon-to-be-released book, Stress-Proof Your Life in this final episode of the food bullying podcast. Listen in as they say farewell and help you deal with the stress of a […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Chemicals and doctors and food, oh my! Episode 77Did you know soldiers used to carry flowers into battle to keep them healthy? Dr. Liza Dunn joins Michele and Eliz for a fascinating conversation about pesticides, nutrition, herbicides, and why doctors need to stay in their lane. Liza Dunn is a mom of 3 boys and a hockey fan who loves her pets - […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Nutrition science is a puzzle: Episode 76Can we trust the information we hear about nutrition? Why does nutritional advice change? Does it have to be this confusing? Does the source of science funding matter? Michele and Eliz are joined by Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Elieke Kearns for a lively discussion about the science of nutrition and why you shouldn’t believe everything you […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Good Soil Is Like Chocolate Cake: Episode 75Sustainable farming is a hot topic - but was does sustainable even mean? In this episode Michele and Eliz welcome regenerative farmer Steve Tucker to discuss why he changed the way he farms and why great soil is like chocolate cake. Steve Tucker is an ag production specialist. He farms in southwest Nebraska with his […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Picking out ice cream, sensationalized science, & misinformation: Episode 74Has an increase of leisure time during the pandemic made us more distrustful of science? Can we pick and choose what science we believe like we do flavors of ice cream? Michele and Eliz are joined by two scientists, Dr. Meghan Wulster- Radcliffe and Dr. Stuart Smyth to discuss science, misinformation and odd flavored ice […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Animal welfare, veal, and filtered milk - ask a vet! Episode 73This episode features a wide-ranging conversation with a veterinarian about how farmers care for their animals, the challenges of being a vet, and the story of Fairlife Milk. Dr. Marissa Hake is a veterinarian who specializes in communicating about how our food is raised. Marissa’s background has been in calf health and welfare but recently […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Pharmacist talks food, drugs, & rural mental health: Episode 72Do you know your pharmacist? Does he or she know you? If not, you may be missing out on a key player in your health care. In this episode, Michele and Eliz chat with pharmacist Jason Medows about the role he plays in his rural community and why mental health resources should be treated as […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Can food really boost your immunity? Episode 71Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Leslie Bonci is back with the truth about immunity-boosting foods, why your gut health is essential, and, of course - lots of laughs with Michele and Eliz! There's a reason she returns as a three-peat guest - and this episode will help you overcome food bullying during the pandemic. Leslie Bonci is […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Food is sacred: how farmers help the hungry - Episode 70What happens when the market for farm products disappears and there are hungry people in the community? In Utah it led to farmers delivering food to Navajo families, including lamb - a sacred food. Ron Gibson shares the heartwarming story the remarkable effort to inspire all Utah families to connect, succeed, and grow through the […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene
- Food is sacred: how farmers help the hungryWhat happens when the market for farm products disappears and there are hungry people in the community? In Utah it led to farmers delivering food to Navajo families, including lamb - a sacred food. Ron Gibson shares the heart-warming story the remarkable effort to inspire all Utah families to connect, succeed, and grow through the […]Michele Payn & Eliz Greene