Have you resolved to be more healthy in 2009?
As we lead up to Wear Red Day on February 6th, we’ll be providing Healthy New Year tips every week day. Are you ready to get started?
Tip #1: Time to Purge
Look around. If your house is like mine, there are tempting treats everywhere. Cookies, candies, salty snacks, all just calling to you… eat me, eat me!
It’s time to remove the temptation. Here are some tips to start the New Year with a tempt-free environment:
- Throw it out: That’s right, be brave! Better in the garbage than clogging up your arteries and padding your belly. Unopened items can be donated.
- Pack it away: If you can’t part with everything, get a quart-sized plastic zipper bag and choose a few things to save. The bag must be able to zip (just like at the airport). Put the bag out of sight in an out-of-the-way cupboard or drawer. Limit yourself to one treat from the bag per day.
- Freeze it: Just can’t bring yourself to throw away grandma’s cookies. Pack them up and freeze them for a special occasion. Wrap them in tape so you won’t be tempted to snitch frozen cookies out of the box.
- Purge your office: Make your work place a tempt-free zone as well.
- Purge your car: What is lurking in your glove compartment?
- Replace it: Bring in some healthy and delicious snacks so you won’t feel deprived. Your body may be used to sweet tastes and craving more. Clementines are in season and are a portable and nutritious sweet snack. Fill up a BPA-free water bottle and keep it handy keeping yourself well hydrated will help with the salt cravings.
Removing temptation from your environment is a great first step to a Healthy New Year!
Wishing you low stress, good health, and great success in 2009!
Need a tip to eat better, move more or manage your stress?
Wish Eliz would answer your question?
Add a comment below and we’ll provide the tip!
Eliz Greene is the Busy Woman’s Guide to a Health. Drawing on her experience surviving a massive heart attack while seven-months pregnant with twins, struggling to lose the 80 pounds gained during her pregnancy, and her background as an adaptive movement specialist, Eliz developed simple strategies and tips to help other busy women be more active, eat better and manage your stress.
As the Director of the Embrace Your Heart Wellness Initiative, Eliz travels the country energizing and inspiring audiences in keynotes and workshops on women’s heart health. She writes one of the top 100 health and wellness blogs. Find more at www.EmbraceYourHeart.com.