Is It Time for a Little Spring Cleaning during Lent?
For many of us, today begins Lent – a time to do a cleaning up of our bodies and spirit. Before you decide to trot out the tried and true “I’ll give up sweets” plan, take a moment to think about the healthy (or unhealthy) habits you hold all year long.
Are sweets really the problem?
Lent can be a time to give up unhealthy habits, 0r take on healthy ones. Any activity you can sustain for more than 21 days can become a lifelong habit – Lent is a great time to solidify a new habit (or break an unhealthy one).
Here are some ideas for taking advantage of the Lenten season:
- MoveMore: Commit to being active for at least 20 minutes every day. (10 minutes twice per day works too!)
- Drink More: Water that is. Commit to drinking 64 ounces of water every day and avoiding soda and other sugary drinks
- Sleep More: Back away from the gadgets and get to bed earlier. Commit to sleeping at least 7 hours (more if you can) each night
- Connect More: Spend less Facebook time and more Face-time with people you care about. Commit to truly connecting with at least one person each day.
- Reflect More:It is easy to take what we have for granted. Commit to being truly grateful for at least one thing each day
- Be Kind More: Busy lives often leave less time for encouragement. Say something encouraging to at least one person each day – and say something encouraging to yourself too.
Start spring with a renewed body and spirit by taking the time during Lent to build healthier habits.
She is a heart attack survivor and the author of the Busy Woman’s Guide to a Healthy Heart as well as 3 other books on wellness. She writes one of the top 50 health and wellness blogs and is a sought-after women’s wellness & stress management keynote speaker. Eliz was recently named one of the Top Ten Online Influencers on Stress.
If you are planning a women’s wellness program, Go Red for Women Luncheon, or Heart Truth event check out EmbraceYourHeart.com to see if Eliz would be a good fit with your organization.